Happy Mother’s Day to all our moms!
Our May 7th Spring Celebration and Banquet was a big success! We had 61 members in attendance(including our newest members) and 13 guests for a total of 74 attendees! Our guests included outgoing DKG state president Dr. Debra LeBlanc, our state visitor and new state VP, Dr. Joan Rog, state executive board member, Melinda Davis, and Bob Kaplan, current IRTA president. Quite a line-up of important people! Our two grant recipients, Alex Cazarez, our Anne Fussell Grant recipient, and Kate Lechowicz, our Gamma Gamma Recruitment Grant recipient, came with their parents. We were able to meet Matina Kantzavelos, a retired Dis. 54 teacher, who is interested in joining our chapter. Matina was pleased to be invited to our May Banquet, and as it turns out, she knows several of our members already. Emilee Baldwin, sister of Karyn and daughter to Michelle, was also a guest who would be interested in membership with our chapter.
We are happy to welcome into membership our two new members, Katie McGarvey and Cindy Sheely! Thanks to our membership and guests for making them welcome. Several members and guests took part in the induction ceremony.
Joan Gazdic put together a lovely White Rose Ceremony of remembrance for Barb Keegan and Hilda Scholler, with Sally Scholler and Marge Fox participating in the memorial. Steffi Delgado, our 2018 Anne Fussell grant recipient sang “One White Rose”, acapella, and did a beautiful job!
We were able to celebrate the retirement of our 3 retirees: Madelynn Brossard(presentation by Mary Balk), Dayna Prochaska (presentation by Pat Rielly) and Sherry Magnuson (presentation by Dayna Prochaska). Thanks to Linda Stolt for purchasing the retiree gifts. Congratulations on their retirement!
During our dinner, we were able to see the video of our collegiate induction in Dec 2018. Heidi Kay(Gerie’s daughter) did a wonderful job creating and editing the video! Later we saw two video statements of thanks from our two graduating senior collegiate members. Brit Moran plans to get a teaching job in Indiana and hopes to join a DKG chapter there. Lauren Haman recently accepted a job at Maine South H.S. teaching math. We are very proud of both of them. Thanks to Karyn Baldwin for running the videos for us!
Karly Grapenthin, our 2018 Florence A. Cook grant recipient gave a lovely speech about the rewards of collegiate membership. Bob Kaplan presented her with the IRTA grant which she won earlier. Karly will leave soon to study in Madrid, Spain this summer.
Karyn Baldwin won our Gamma Gamma Scholarship and Cammy Basak won the Love of Learning Scholarship. Michelle Baldwin won the Literacy Award this year for all her hard work promoting reading in her school library position. Congrats to all!
Toward the end of our banquet we celebrated our members’ years of DKG membership, including our 45 year member: Jane Born (honored by Charlotte Weber), 50 year member: Mary Marowally (honored by Honora Quinn) and 50 year member: Sally Scholler (honored by Gerie Kay and Lorena Williams). We are all honored to have these three milestone members in our chapter!
Finally, many thanks to all those members who helped with the induction, presentations, certificates, set-up and photography. A big thanks goes to Mary Roeing who designed, printed and delivered the program agendas to our May banquet, even though she wasn’t able to attend. And special thanks to Rose Marie Mincey, who worked tirelessly to put together our banquet at Bridges of Poplar Creek. There is a reason our chapter is so successful- it’s because we have amazing members!
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
- May 21st– The Program Committee is meeting with co-chairs Mary Balk and Honora Quinn to plan next year’s programs. They are meeting at 3:30pm, at Our Redeemer’s Methodist Church, 1600 W. Schaumburg Rd., Schaumburg, IL.
- May 30th– Society Business is meeting at Joan Gazdic’s house(1809 Hampshire Dr., Hoffman Estates) at 9:30 am.
- May 30th– Our Chapter Book Club is meeting at Riccardo’s Restaurant at 5:30pm to discuss Summit Lake by Charles Donlea. Jo Ann Bechtold is facilitating this discussion. This book is a suspenseful fast-paced thriller! Please let Jo Ann know if you plan to join us.
- June 8th– The Kenneth Young 5K Walk! It takes place at Busse Woods on Arlington Hts. Road(across from Elk Grove H.S.). Check in is at 8am and the walk/run begins at 9am. Please contact Sudha Byanna if you plan to participate: firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 11th– Membership Committee meeting with chair, Rose Karner at the Panera in the Barrington Arboretum at 9:30 am.
- June 13th– Educational Excellence and Special Service Projects is meeting at Riccardo’s for a noon lunch meeting with chairs, Denise Pawelczyk and Kris Beaudette.
- Sudha Byanna and Sandy Cook wish to thank all our members who donated to the Kenneth Young Center. We collected more than $450. toward this important mental health facility! If you wish to contribute a donation or want to walk on June 8th, please contact Sudha Byanna: email@example.com.
- Cheryl Keifer and the Communications Committee will be working hard to put together our 2019-20 yearbook/directory, and they hope to get it done soon. If you have ANY changes to the yearbook/directory please let Cheryl know soon.
- We still have some black fabric shopping bags with the DKG logo, which we sold at our convention bazaar. If you want a bag please contact Mary Balk: firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost of each bag is $6.00.
- Our chapter dues are due June 1st! As announced many times, our dues will be collected early this year. Instead of October, we need all chapter dues by June. Please send your $84 check for dues now through May to Linda Stolt:1912 Quaker Hollow Ln., Streamwood, IL 60107-1977
- Any member is welcome to attend more than one committee meeting, but it is important that you attend your own committee meeting. Your committee needs your in-put and help to make important decisions. Make note of the committee meeting date and times and contact your committee chair to let them know you are attending. If you wish to change committees, contact new and old committee chairs.
- We are collecting school supplies at our May and June Committee Meetings. Please bring school supplies to those meetings. Committee chairs need to deliver the school supplies to the Schaumburg Township Office at 1 Illinois Blvd, Hoffman Estates(off Schaumburg Road).
- Please check your current yearbooks if you don’t remember which committee you are on, or contact email@example.com. All committee members are also listed under each committee’s report in this newsletter.
- As I announced in an email, if I got any Gamma Gamma member’s name wrong at our May Banquet I would donate $10 to our scholarship fund. And since I called Joyce Dunne, “Irene”(Dunne), I will be donating $10. I think Joyce is the only one I got wrong(I hope).
Care Team News:
Please contact Glenda Klein-Mali(and Mary Wrobel) if you have any news for the Care Team. We also love to hear your good news and celebrations! Let us know what you would like shared with your Gamma Gamma sisters via newsletter or other announcements. We can also be discreet, if you don’t wish to announce your situation to all chapter members.
- Glenda Klein-Mali’s mother, Mary Klein, passed away last Tuesday morning, May 7th. The funeral will be at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Lombard on Wednesday, May 22. Visitation: 10-11, Service: 11-12. Cards can be sent to:
Schaumburg, IL 60195
- Jon Fussell was unable to join us this year at our May banquet due some health issues, including a possible blood clot in his leg. I’m sure he would love to hear from members of the Gamma Gamma Chapter as he recovers. His address is:
2746 Dalewood Ave SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
- Dorothy Clair is recovering from hip replacement surgery in Naples, FL. This has been a tough year for Dorothy. Her health issues and her husband’s declining health have put her in low spirits. I’m sure she would love to hear from her Gamma Gamma sisters.
5434 Whitten Dr.
Naples , FL
- Please keep up the good wishes and prayers for Charlotte Weber’s daughter, Katie. Katie loves to hear from her mom’s Gamma Gamma sisters. Here is Katie’s address:
3039 18th Ave. S.
Seattle, WA 98144
Many of our chapter sisters have health issues or other situations they are dealing with which prevent them from coming to meetings. If you haven’t heard from a Gamma Gamma sister in a while, please take a moment to call or email her. We can all do our part to check on our members and support them when they need us most.
To all our Gamma Gamma sisters, don’t forget to let us know if you need our support- The Care Team
SOCIETY BUSINESS: (Joan Gazdic)
Society Business is meeting at Joan Gazdic’s house on May 30th at 9:30 am.
The following are members of Society Business: Joan Gazdic(chair), Adrienne Rovin, Kris Beaudette, Mary Marowally, Sally Scholler, Kathleen Stephansen, Linda Stolt, and Charlotte Weber. Please let Joan know if you can’t make it. Please bring school supplies to this meeting.
Society Business covers chapter finances, rules and research. If you are interested in attending this committee meeting, please contact Joan Gazdic. This committee will be working on the budget for next year, as well as revising chapter regulations.
*It seems like we just paid our dues, but we will be paying them again early, and hereafter in May. Please send your $84.00 dues for the 2019-20 year to Linda Stolt now: Linda Stolt 1912 Quaker Hollow Ln., Streamwood, IL 60107-1977
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: (Rose Karner)
The Membership Committee is meeting June 11th at 9:30 am at the Barrington Arboretum Panera. The following chapter members are on this committee: Rose Karner(chair), Jane Born, Madelynn Brossard, Carol Cowen, Julie Ehrhardt, Erin Felvey, Jane Martin, Mary Roeing, Jacqui Rothman, Sue Werner, Maureen Briza Alice Ryan, and Stephanie Grande(in charge of Necrology). Please let Rose know if you can’t make it.
This committee covers membership inductions and issues, necrology, nominations and Chapter history/archives. If you are interested in attending or joining this committee meeting, please contact Rose Karner.
Please bring school supplies to this meeting.
COMMUNICATIONS COMMITTEE: (Cheryl Keifer)
The Communication Committee will be meeting shortly to start work on our next year’s yearbook/directory. Cheryl will contact the following members: Cheryl Keifer(chair),Geri DeFalco, Chris Dick, Carol Escortia, Debbie Goodman, Jane Jedlicka, Jan Kayson, Jane Kennedy-Ebner, Mary Jayne La Bahn, Pat Rielly, Mary Salee, Debra Hopp and Kathy Muench(our webmaster).
This committee covers creating our annual yearbook/directory, published newsletters, our chapter website and publicity. Don’t forget: this year our directory will be online, on our website. Communications will publish a few yearbooks for those who don’t have computers or printers. Please contact Cheryl Keifer if you are interested in attending their meetings or joining this committee.
Please bring school supplies to this June meeting.
PROGRAM COMMITTEE: (Mary Balk and Honora Quinn)
Mary and Honora are excited to begin planning for new and interesting programs for the 2019-20 year. All are welcome to attend this meeting on May 21st at Our Redeemer’s Methodist Church at 3:30pm. Please come with ideas for our 2019-20 programs. Contact Mary Balk or Honora Quinn if you want to attend.
The following members are on the Program Committee: Mary Balk and Honora Quinn(chairs), Merna Folkers, Marge Fox, Sharon Froehlich, Judie King, Glenda Klein-Mali, Carol McHale, Sherry Magnuson, Rose Marie Mincey, Dayna Prochaska, Linda Szymkowiak and Cindy Ward. Please bring school supplies to this meeting.
Our next program meeting is Thursday, September 19, 2019-Get and Stay organized!
EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE COMMITTEE-Scholarships: (Denise Pawelczyk)
The Educational Excellence Committee-Scholarships will meet on June 13th at Riccardo’s Restaurant at 12 noon. The following members are on this committee: Denise Pawelczyk(chair), Sudha Byanna, Nanette Carli, Karen DelVecchio, Joyce Dunne, Nancy Harmon, Mary Hurd, Gretchen Mahin, Judy McGuire, Cindy Nicholson, Janet Starr, Mary Stitt, Rita Tweed, Susan Wadkins, Sandy Cook and Karyn Baldwin. Please bring school supplies to this meeting.
This committee will take on the chapter scholarships and grants, as well as collegiate mentorship and memberships, almost exclusively. If you wish to learn more about this committee, or want to attend a committee meeting, please contact Denise Pawelczyk.
June service project: We will be collecting School supplies for the 2019-20 school year at our committee meetings.
SPECIAL SERVICE PROJECTS: (Kris Beaudette, transitioning chair to Gerie Kay)
Special Service Projects will be meeting on June 13th at Riccardo’s Restaurant at 12 noon. The following members are on this committee: Kris Beaudette, Gerie Kay, Cindy Sheely, Katie McGarvey, Cammy Basak, Jo Ann Bechtold, Kris Davenport, Debbie Faems, Peggy Gire, Keri Gold, Mindy Jones, Mary Kay Marrello, Lorena Williams, Tish Chapman and Michelle Baldwin. Please bring school supplies to this meeting.
This committee will take over local and international service projects, as well as continue with DKG legislation and literacy.
If you wish to attend this committee meeting in June, please contact Kris Beaudette.
NEWS FROM LAMBDA STATE:
We had a great IL State DKG Convention this year! Some of the highlights included the Heart and Soul Choir of adults with disabilities, Hope of the Day Mental Health Seminar with Carl Evans, Our key Note speaker, author Steven Layne, the White Rose Ceremony of Remembrance and the Awards Breakfast. There were many excellent sessions this year, as well as many good 10 minute Take-Aways, and poster sessions. There were also many excellent vendors, as well as our Chapter Bazaar. Those of us who went were busy the whole weekend, with several options of activities and sessions. The session, Planting the Seeds of Collegiate Membership by Denise Pawelczyk, Sandy Cook and Karyn Baldwin was so necessary that President Debra LeBlanc asked Denise to speak at the Sunday Awards Breakfast and give a summary of their session, which she did quite well.
We hope that next year many more of our Gamma Gamma members will consider attending the 2020 convention in St. Louis.
- Beginning July 2019 there will be new State Executive Board members. Congratulations to our new Illinois state DKG president, Bev Johns and our new state 1st VP, Dr. Joan Rog! We look forward to hearing good things from them.
40th Annual Creative Arts Retreat
The Women in the Arts Committee invites you to mark your calendars now for the 40th Annual Creative Arts Retreat to be held at Allerton Park in Monticello, Il June 28-30, 2019. Registration is first come first serve. The form is posted on the website under the WIA committee tab. You won’t want to miss this special event celebrating 40 years of CAR.
TEAMING UP FOR SUCCESS: LEADERSHIP AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNE 24, 25 & 26, 2019 at Bradley University
Presentations will include: Leading a New Generation, How to Create Authentic Relationships, Cyber Safety – Are You in Danger?, Up in the IClouds, Googling Your Life, Your Leadership Legacy, Traditional Learning vs Cyber Learning, Leader’s Tool Box for Organizing a Conference, Teachers Are not “in Kansas” Anymore – Who is This New Teacher?, Creating Web Pages for Personal and Professional Use, Using Technology for Presentations, Organize Your Life the Cyber Way, etc.
The list continues with presentations by experts in their fields. Classes have been designed to appeal to all ages and those who are working or retired from education.
See attached registration form in this newsletter.
We are Key Women Educators Impacting Education Worldwide – always Expect Great Things!
UPCOMING MEMBER BIRTHDAYS:
Honora Quinn(May 27), Cindy Ward(May 31), Denise Pawelczyk(June 12), Sandy Cook(June 19), Cindy Nicholson(June 19), Gretchin Mahin(June 22), Debbie Faems(June 23), Mary Salee(June 30). Happy Birthday, Ladies!
- May Newsletter
- Spring Celebration/May banquet registration
- Women in the Arts Creative Arts Retreat
- Leadership and Technology Workshop
The state convention in Decatur this year was a fast-paced, busy event. There were many things I wish I had more time to do! As it was, I was lucky to get through the activities and sessions I was committed to doing. It was truly an exciting and fun time and I’m so glad many of us from Gamma Gamma Chapter were able to attend! At convention I was honored to give the invocation, but especially because I was able to thank and extend praise to a long-time member of our chapter, Dorothy Clair. Dorothy was a champion for DKG and was an important part of my invocation.
The state executive board members who attended our May banquet made it a point to tell me how impressed they were with the entire celebration. Both Debbie LeBlanc and Melinda Davis told me in all honesty that they love to come to Gamma Gamma events to get ideas to pass on to other chapters. They know we are blazing a trail for other chapters to follow. Gamma Gamma Chapter truly is a trail blazer! Enjoy the rest of spring and the coming summer! Mary